Tuesday, November 6, 2007

OOP and HTML

Most of my time in our new Web Development class has been spent learning how HTML and scripting languages interface with one another to provide dynamic functionality. While searching through my volumes of IT tomes, I found an explanation that succinctly describes the realtionship between JavaScript and HTML. HTML creates the objects with tags whilst JavaScript manipulates the objects using the dot operator. While sifting through the mountains of information available on my library drive, I also discovered that several languages can be used for CGI scripting. If I wanted to, within the tags I could use good old C, PERL, VB, JavaScript, whatever language my heart or mind desires.

The main issue I am having now is with ASP.NET pages and how they relate to the class hierarchy within a solution framework. I understand the concept of objects and classes but when the using the higher level languages, everything is a class or object. I know in ASP that each form is its own class derived from a prototype that isn't even instantiated.

What I am gathering from years of striving to learn programming and lower system runlevels, is that all computers, in terms of programming and operation, have a pattern of functionality. I can't quite articulate what this pattern is yet but I am convinced it exists. Syntactical differences between languages are starting to disappear; the lines between languages are becoming hopelessly blurred into one big category called "Computer." I am beginning to grasp the fact that once you know C or C++ well enough, you basically know all the major OOP languages. JAVA is so close in similarity to C++ it's not even funny. My advice is to get your one programming lanuage learned real well and move on to the others without fear.

No comments: